I have taken the decision to restart driving lessons from 3rd August.
I will support and follow the current Government and DVSA guidelines regarding driver training – obviously there is going to be a period of transition whilst we get used to new safe working practices, therefore I would be very grateful for everyone bearing with me whilst we readjust to a new way of working together 🙂
New lesson procedure
- I will contact the pupil before the lesson to confirm that they are fit and well and are not experiencing any symptoms of Coronavirus – I will also need confirmation that they have not been in contact with anyone showing any symptoms of the virus within the last 7 days.
- If I feel that the pupil is showing possible signs of the virus, I reserve the right to cancel the lesson. This may mean the lesson is cancelled before commencing or terminated part way through.
The safety and wellbeing of the pupil, myself and our respective families and friends is my primary consideration
- I will contact the pupil with as much notice as possible if I or anyone with whom I have been in contact have been showing symptoms of the virus within the last 7 days.
Please note I reserve the right to charge for the lesson if the pupil cancels without due reason and I feel it would be safe for the lesson to go ahead.
- All pupils will be required to wash their hands for at least 20 seconds before leaving their house/place of work prior to entering the vehicle (it will also be a good idea for the pupil to have their own hand gel with them)
- I will use hand gel prior to meeting the pupil, and will use antibacterial wipes/spray to clean all contact areas including:
- Door handles (inside & out)
- Window/mirror controls
- Seat adjusters/head restraint/seatbelt
- Gear lever/handbrake
- Steering wheel
- Indicator/wiper stalks
- I will provide hand sanitiser and antibacterial wipes.
- Both myself and the pupil will need to provide and wear face coverings at all times in the vehicle for the duration of the lesson.
- If the pupil wishes to wear disposable gloves this will be acceptable, however the pupil must provide these and then keep and dispose of them after the lesson.
- Please wear clothing that provides as much covering as is reasonable – short sleeves are considered acceptable.
- I will, wherever possible, be keeping windows open ( I have fitted wind deflectors to help keep the interior comfortable and prevent rain entering the vehicle)
- Parents/guardians will not be permitted to sit in on any lesson or driving tests.
- New pupils will need to provide driving licence details before the first lesson, and complete a licence verification process – I will not handle the licence, however I will need to see it on the first meeting.
Conducting the lesson
It may be necessary to adapt the format of the lesson in some instances – face to face contact will need to be avoided where possible, and if I need to intervene in any way which involves coming into contact with any of the controls, these will be wiped down as soon as it is safe to do so.
Payment for lessons
I wish to avoid handling cash and cheques – therefore, I would ask that all pupils pay by bank transfer.
Payment for blocks of lessons will need to be made prior to the first lesson and pupils wishing to pay as you go will need to complete the payment before the lesson commences.
I reserve the right to refuse to conduct the lesson if payment has not been received.
I trust that by everyone observing these conditions, we will be able to get back to driving lessons safely and with some sense of normality! 🙂
Update message to all current pupils
Firstly, I hope you and your family are all safe and well and have been surviving these very strange past few months.
In view of the announcement last week regarding resuming driving lessons and tests, I would like to review the situation on 1st July to see how to take things forward in relation to restarting lessons.
Therefore, could I please ask all pupils to either email or text me the following information:
- Whether you would like to continue lessons as soon as possible
- Whether you would like to continue lessons but not straight away
- Your current situation in terms of availability for lessons (i.e. whether you are still in college lessons/lectures/working etc.)
- Whether you will be in full or part-time education from September/October and what form the lessons/lectures will be likely to take (i.e. from home/remotely/at college/Uni etc.)
- Whether you currently have a confirmed practical test date
If it’s possible to email learnwithnick@btinternet that would be preferable but if not then please text.
I am currently awaiting further guidance from the DVSA with regards to how to deliver lessons safely and with minimal risk to both the pupil and myself. I will only consider restarting lessons if I feel happy that the teaching environment is safe for both pupil and instructor and there may be adaptations to the car that I need to carry out before lessons can recommence – I will also require all pupils to contact me straight away if they or any family member/friend develop any symptoms in common with the virus.
In addition to this, I will also need to look at any PPE that might be needed and my timetable will need to be adjusted in order to allow me time to prepare the car safely for the next pupil between lessons.
Many thanks for your help and co-operation, and I hope to see you all soon!
Congratulations Tyler – great drive.
Passed first time 31/10/2019 (Final test before the new car!)